Thursday, December 9, 2010

Lewis and god.

I started reading C.S. Lewis’s Mere Christianity today and I am very impressed. The book stems from a series of radio discussions in post-war England. As a result of this, his style is very simple and easy to understand. What amazes me is how relevant and on point his is, despite writing almost 70 years ago. Book one focus is on laying a philosophical foundation for his discussion of Christianity. He starts by arguing for some sort of higher power. Only after establishing this does he move to discuss the Christian faith (hence a lower-case g in the title). His primary reason is that you cannot offer people salvation until they know they need it. For Lewis, the majority do not realize they are in need of saving. Thoughts similar to this have been floating through my mind recently. I have started to have some very interesting, challenging and thoughtful discussion with people whose worldview is very different from my own. They are good (in so far as humans can be good) people and I care about them. It is difficult because I am more convinced than ever that they need salvation, but find it so hard to have any impact. Lewis has allowed me to make some sense of things. Namely, until they realize they need saving, I can do nothing. Moreover, I really believe that my ability to reason with them will have little impact, unless their hearts are moved. Gordon Fee often talks about apologetics and how it is practically impossible to reason someone into faith. It can and must be a decision of the heart. So I pray and beg for wisdom and the God moves them. Life is not a game and our relationship with God matters above all. To think some of these people will be separate sucks. I can only now fathom Paul’s bold claim in Romans 9: 1-3 “I am speaking the truth in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit— 2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh.” Paul cared so much for his people- who failed to grasp God’s plan- , Israel, he wishes he could swap places with them. In Your mercy, hear my prayer.

No comments: