Monday, February 15, 2010

Quote 2 - C.S. Lewis (and reflection)

I have been reading through a C.S. Lewis Anthology (The Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics. New York: HarperCollins, 2002). The ordering of the book has The Problem of Pain immediately followed by A Grief Observed. This 'canonical' ordering strikes me as profound because one reads Lewis' philosophical reflection on pain and then is confronted with his reflection on his, as well as his wife's, actual suffering and pain. It is easy to discuss topics from a distance, but when you are in the middle of them the outlook is quite different. His honesty in Grief is remarkable and challenging.

One quote that specifically stood out to me was,
"Talk to me about the truth of religion and I'll listen gladly. Talk to me about the duty of religion and I'll listen submissively. But don't come talking to me about the consolations of religion or I shall suspect that you don't understand." (Ch.2; p.666)

Too often it is easy to give spiritual answers which fail to deal with the rawness of the tradegy and pain in question. This doesn't negate the future hope in Christ, but calls for an honesty as it is expressed.

No comments: